What’s more important than trying to get more clients?
Neither are accomplished by using marketing strategies that feel “off” to you.
Although some people will buy when we resort to hype and manipulation, it increases doubt about our integrity, in our buyer’s mind, and in ours. The best clients will be pushed away.
This is marketing from desperation energy.
In marketing it is assumed that the goal, the daily effort, is to get more views, more followers, more sales.... always wanting other people to do more of what we want them to do.
In other words, conventional marketing is deeply self-centered, which stems from either insecurity, or ego.
“If I don’t strive to get my share of attention, I won’t be able to survive or shine!”
The result is the proliferation of questionable marketing strategies and pushy sales tactics, that aim to “grab” more audience attention and action.
The real problem is that it seems to work in the short term. The squeaky wheel at first gets the grease... but all that squeaking eventually gets it eliminated and replaced!
I’ve written a lot about the overall strategies to grow one’s authentic business. But what about actual, regular actions? In this post, I provide 4 questions to guide you.
Let’s start with the most important question. It’s not “what’s your niche?” or “have you set up your email list?”
In fact, in my new side business that I started back in July, I don’t even have a website yet, nor have I clarified my niche. All I've done is created content consistently. Now I have an audience of about 2,000 people who have engaged with my content in the past few months. You can read about my new business in this blog category: Starting an authentic business.
So the first and most important question -- no matter if you’re just starting your business, or already have a thriving one -- is this:
The next time an expert tells you that a marketing or conversion tactic “works”... ask this question:
“It might work to convert 10% of the audience… but does it build trust with the other 90%... or does it feel salesy to them?”
Years ago, I used to care only about the small percentage of my audience who converted -- I was all about the sale... getting the transaction. What about the remainder of the audience? I thought of them as “illusory clients” or “tire kickers”.
I was prioritizing my own profit timelines, rather than the organic decision-making process of my audience. I wanted them to buy my program “by the end of this webinar!” or “within 48 hours!”... and so I dangled ridiculous incentives, and used “powerful” scarcity tactics to convert the few... yet turned off much of the audience with these pressure tactics.
This is called “being salesy.”
"There are only TWO spots left in the program. Sign up now!"
This is the sort of email we might receive from a conventional marketer (see Organic Marketing vs. Conventional Marketing).
They have not taken the care to consider how this makes the audience feel. They're doing it because it "works" to get those few openings filled.
When they offer 2 spots left, and yet the campaign is being sent to thousands of people, what are the rest of the people supposed to do?
George Kao is a Marketing Coach for small business owners, especially solopreneurs such as Coaches and Mentors. He focuses on ethical & effective ways to grow one's platform and build true livelihood.
All content on this website is Creative Commons CC0 license -- No Rights Reserved. Feel free to use or repurpose it however you like!
Here's why :)